The Apostle Paul wrote these words: “And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.” (Ephesians 4:11-12 NKJV)
Not so long ago it was common to view the realm of ministry as the exclusive domain of pastors, evangelists, and the like. Thankfully, that perspective has been corrected to a great extent. As the above passage clearly teaches, the saints ("saints" was the way Paul referred to average, everyday Christians like us) are the ones being equipped for the ministry. As a church, we are fully committed to helping interested believers discover and develop their unique blend of ministry gifts.
There are several avenues at Gateway through which individuals can “get their feet wet”, so to speak, as they evaluate what might be the best fit for them ministry-wise. We want to provide meaningful opportunities for ministry both in the life of the church as well as in outreach ministry to our community and beyond. Some of these opportunities are noted below.
• Every other month, we provide a meal and conduct a worship service for the Twin Cities Rescue Mission. It is always a good time of ministry, and very much appreciated by the folks over there. If you would be interested in helping with setting up and serving the meal, or with some of the singing, or sharing a testimony, we would certainly welcome your assistance. The third Thursday of odd months, beginning at 5:30 pm (January, March, May, July, September, and November). You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• We host a Bible-based recovery group called The Next Step, which meets every Wednesday evening at 6:30 pm. The meeting is open to all, and meets in the Chapel. For more information, call the church office at 530-742-2465.
• The Wednesday Night Bible Study is facilitated by Pastor Doug and meets Wednesdays at 6:30 pm in the church sanctuary.
• The Christian Women’s Fellowship holds weekly Bible Study meetings (Wednesday mornings at 10:00 am in the Sanctuary). Childcare is provided.
• Our Men’s Ministry is scheduled for the second Saturday of every month at 8 a.m. (breakfast included). Weekly meetings will begin in the near future.
• Our Prayer Ministry Team meets Wednesday evenings at 6:00 p.m. in the church library.
• We have a vibrant Children’s Department, with a multi-level Children’s Church meeting during our Sunday morning worship service.
• Then there are the Big Events—Christmas, Good Friday, Easter, Back to Church Sunday, and other evangelistic outreach functions during the year. We try to provide several “side door” entrances for those who might be reluctant to make their first appearance at church on a Sunday morning. So we have things like movie nights, special music nights, anything that gives us an opportunity to connect with people in a way that communicates the gospel in a casual, comfortable setting.
All of these things take an immense amount of teamwork. It’s all about serving others in Jesus Name, and we try very hard to do a good job at whatever it is we commit to.
To sum it all up, we are determined to do all we can with what we have to meet the spiritual needs in our community and the surrounding area. We are not a large church, but it seems that we have been handed a large assignment. We believe that God is in the process of assembling a team here to fulfill His purposes for this church. If you are not already part of an existing ministry team, and you have a heart for ministry, there may well be a place of service for you here. Come by for a visit. We would love to hear what’s on your heart.